Sunday, July 7, 2013

Your Prettiest on that BIG DAY

The wedding month of June may be over but weddings will always be a year-round affair - like love that knows no season or reason.

So yesterday, I dropped by Blissful Beginnings bridal fair at the Gaisano Mall, Davao City for the sole purpose of catching up and interviewing one of Davao's young and talented makeup artist Ryan G. Wong of Makeup by Ryan Wong. I first met him when he and another makeup artist Noeh became our instructors for All About Eyes makeup class with other Davao Lady Bloggers. I know that his expert opinion on bridal makeup will help you ladies in preparing and planning THAT DAY when you say "I Do" and promise forever, in sickness and in health to the love of your life. 

The bride Rica- MUA Ryan G. Wong, photo by Kulay Potograpiya 
Haven't we all come across brides who look totally different on their wedding day? I'm sure even the groom would have to take a careful look if only to make sure that the bride is really the one he proposed to! For maquilleur Ryan, bridal makeup must and should always be classic and timeless, bringing out the natural beauty of the bride when she walks down the aisle. He always prefers to use neutral and flattering hues so it does not transform but instead enhance. To achieve the perfect bridal makeup, Ryan uses quality, high definition makeup that he buys online since these are all imported.

Maquilleur Ryan G. Wong 
Some of the products he uses
"My makeup pet peeves are false eyelashes that do not "marry" with the bride's natural eyelashes and hard lines. Falsies need to be applied properly by your makeup artist so that it doesn't look fake. Hard lines like very dark brows and eye liners are also a big no-no because it makes the bride look older," he explained.

So what does he think of the trend in concept weddings? "The couple can always experiment with the theme for their wedding so it reflects their personalities. They can be as wild and avant garde with the gown and hair but for makeup, it has to be classic and timeless." 

Ryan began pursuing his passion in 2010 but he admits that as far as he can remember, he has always been interested in beauty and makeup. Unknown to many, he has a degree in Biology from San Pedro College and teaches the subject in Ateneo. I asked him which one is his part time job and he laughed. I reckon his 9-5 job as an educator and his calling to beautify people are two halves that complete a whole.

To keep himself updated and offer his growing clientele quality service, he has studied professional airbrush makeup in Manila and constantly reads books on makeup trends. The web is also a good source of inspiration if you know the basics. Ryan offers value for money makeup packages to fit every couples' budget. - from the prenup photo shoot to the church and the reception. According to Ryan, the groom also needs to be "groomed" and not just the bride. Ladies, you definitely don't want to be perfect and your groom looking like crap on that big day. Do I get an amen?!

Among his unforgettable weddings are his sister's and that sunset beach wedding in Samal Island where the "bridal car" was actually a speedboat, complete with fireworks and fire dancers during the reception. "I'm fascinated by weddings - the different emotions that you see and all the details that goes into the preparation. To be part in making a bride's dream come true is truly a gift for me," Ryan shares. 

Here are some of Ryan's radiant brides:

My high school classmate Judy



By the way, he has this piece of advice for you brides-to-be, "I prefer my clients to talk to me and tell me what they want so we can meet halfway and create a look that fits her and a look that she will be happy with. When brides are comfortable with their makeup, they are more comfortable and confident on their wedding day. Also comes out very beautiful in the camera!"  

Ryan offers conventional and airbrush makeup not only for weddings but for other occasions as well like debuts, proms, parties and what have you. Visit Ryan Wong's FB page or Makeup by Ryan Wong to know more of this talented maquilleur, his portfolio and inquire about his professional rates. He will also be one of the exhibitors at the upcoming Kasalang Filipino Davao on July 19-21, 2013 at the Abreeza Mall. Look for him and I'm sure you may just end the search for your wedding's makeup artist.

Get in touch with Ryan
Couple Drei and Aiza viewing Ryan's portfolio during the bridal fair
I have already booked Ryan and told him what I want on my wedding day - he is very easy to talk to and it's a bonus if you are into Biology or vegan lifestyle. I'm decided on what gown I want to wear, the hair and even chose the song for my trip down the aisle. Now, if only I can find the perfect man. If you know anyone, please email their CVs! hahaha By the way, I'm listening to my wedding song while writing this post - for added inspiration. Awww...





No comments:

Post a Comment